What is Content Marketing?
A strategic content marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience. Ultimately, it is to drive profitable customer action.
It is more than pitching your products or services; you are providing truly relevant and useful content to your prospects and customers to help them solve their issues.
Marketing is Impossible Without Content
Quality content is part of all forms of marketing.
- Social media marketing – Content marketing strategy comes before your social media strategy.
- Website – The content on their help with search engine rankings
- SEO – Search engines rate businesses that publish quality, consistent content.
- PPC – You need great content behind it.
- Inbound marketing – Content is key to driving inbound traffic and leads.
Who is Reading Your Content?
The first step when creating a content marketing strategy is who is your target audience. You want to create content based on who you are engaging with. If you have several targets, then it is about a strategy that has a variety of content and channels, to deliver the best message to each audience.
Your service or product solves a problem that your audience has. Your content needs to deliver information that addresses these problems. It also must explain how your brand is different, and in some cases, it is more the tone of the content and the delivery than what is actually written.
Effective content should be clearly written, emotionally engaging, and include SEO best practices like keyword research and integration. You want to write content that people want to read. Great content suits your brand persona, educates your audience on your products and services, while creating avenues for future engagement.
Consistency is an important part as well. You want your content at the top of the search engine algorithms and ensure that your message is getting delivered regularly. Educational content can help answer questions and prove to be a helpful resource, increasing your brand’s reputation.
Types of Content Marketing
There are several types of content marketing that all work well together and should be a part of your overall strategy. It is best to start with a few and then add other avenues to them. You want to start and be consistent. We suggest master a few and then add others, especially if you are doing your content marketing yourself or in house.
- Blogs – Blogs provide valuable content for your audience that makes them want to read and learn. It is best when your audience wants to share the posts with others.
- Case Studies – Case studies are the perfect opportunity to tell the story of a customer and the problem they were having and how your brand helped them solve it. It gives quantifiable proof.
- Ebooks / Whitepapers – A lead generation tool that a customer can download after submitting a lead form with their contact information. They are part of the inbound marketing process.
- Social Media – Posting on social media is pivotal to amplifying your brand and delivering content to your customers where you know they spend their time. Which social network will depend on your audience.
- Videos – Videos are highly engaging and capture people’s attention. It is more likely to get shared on social media.
- Podcasts – Podcasts are an alternative for those who don’t have time to read, but still want content. They are a verbal piece of content marketing.